Friday, February 24, 2012

Of Advices..

ad·vise

[ad-vahyz] 

verb (used with object)  

to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ad·vice 

[ad-vahys]  

noun 

an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
I had written a while ago on my erstwhile almost dead 'Orkut' profile something to the following effect :-
'Advices and assholes, everyone has one.. So tell em to shove it'

Yep.. That was a bid crude language coming from me.. but I was younger then and can pretend to be less wiser :)

Sorry for digressing.. Anyways, 6 years since I wrote that statement, I now believe that there ARE people (including me) who DO need advice!!!

But they don't need you to tell em 'WHAT TO DO', but rather they need you  to tell em 'HOW TO DO' what you wish they do for their own betterment.. Or vice-versa!!

This realization may have dawned late on me, because I had stopped giving free advice long ago and politely tune-out myself when somebody starts giving me free advice.. but over a period of time, I do feel advices provide a good feedback loop and can be, if given with the right intent (very important) useful to improve conditions and situations..

Well, I know that most of you may have already known this and may think I am ranting at the obvious.. but this has been, for me, an epiphany.. And I wanted to share this LESSON with the world that bothers with me :)

So go ahead.. I do not mind your free advices.. As long as you tell me 'how to' go about it.. Also, I still do have a choice not to hear you out.. Free will after all :D



No comments: