"I love you when you dance when you freestyle in trance.. so pure such an expression " Sang Alanis as I decided to run away on a weekend getaway!!
Un-surprisingly I chose Gokarna to hide away from the world.. (This post is not a travelogue about Gokarna.. Google it cos enough has been written about it here, there and everywhere)..
So what was the plan anyways.. None actually..
I had been to Gokarna a long long time ago.. Actually 5 years back to be exact!! Well nothings changed.. Its still as pure and pristine as it was when I last visited the place..
Anyways, I decided.. like all new age independent thinkers (not sure if I am qualified to call myself a 'thinker' but nevertheless.. My blog.. and who cares!!) that I needed to break-away.. But I wasn't even looking to run away actually.. Didn't know till the last moment that I would actually go.. But, it was well worth the effort..
This time I wanted to explore this idyllic little temple town a little bit more intimately!!
Other than the fact that I am visiting this place after 5 later, I also seemed to have matured with some spiritual and mental needs.. Really!!!
So this time I wasn't really a pleasure hunter.. I just wanted to connect to the rich legacy this place offers.. And wow.. does it!!
For those of who don't know much about Gokarna (and incase you don't want to Google it either), this is a small temple town.. which attracts millions of pilgrims.. year after year.. after all if you have in your childhood followed the tales from the Shiv-Mahapuran, this place has been vividly described.. Along with neighboring pilgrim centres!! Gokarna is also a hippie paradise.. with 5 of the most beautiful beaches you could have laid your eyes upon.. atleast among the ones I know of in India..
However, contrary to my belief, this place is not just visited by European hippies and Indian pilgrims.. You also see a lot of pseudo Indian pleasure hunters and firangi soul seekers.. All in all a good mix..
I was happy to listen to the Sanskrit that was spoken in the village streets.. This place is supposed to be one of the seats of Sanskrit learning in India.. Not that I know to speak Sanskrit, but it was a good revelation that people still speak what is considered and obsolete tongue.. You can also hear sporadic Kannada and Marathi being spoken.. Didn't have enough time this time, But I really wanted to meet and know more about the local customs and styles.. The place did remind me of Kerala.. Simple, green and beautiful.. Even the locals are comfortable with foreigners prying around in barely any clothes on their already naked bodies.. But what the hell..I'm no trying to be judgmental.. Just observing!!
I was staying in one of the shacks available at Kudle beach.. Pristine and cheap.. 100 bucks per head per night.. And you can keep gazing at the gorgeous ocean all the time.. Beautiful.. And keep eating your favorite fish food.. All yum!!
So I was either playing around in the waves.. Or meditating.. Or lying on the beach.. or Temple hopping.. or reading a book.. or listening to music.. or speaking to random strangers about life!!
Infact the guy staying the the shack next to mine was an Italian named Phillipe who had been living in India for over a year now.. And he was telling me about his spiritual journey and how he came to India to learn Yoga..
It was interesting when he noted during our conversation that I don't seem like an average Indian.. He said that I think and behave like any European soul searching for light.. Unlike Indians who either don't care too much or have achieved it already.. It was fun to hear somebody else's viewpoint about spiritual India and Indians..
I also met among other people a British woman named Rachel.. She was also on her journey through finding "Love and Light".. One of the observations she made was about how the firangs in Gokarna are largely 2 kinds.. The ones to come plainly to smoke pot and others like her that want to find answers that her world doesn't provide.. I do hope she finds what she is seeking!!
Well.. Like I said this trip was not just about spiritual seeking.. It was also about fun.. So yea.. I did do some things that I needed to tick off in my bucket list.. Some of you may already know it.. For the others.. Keep guessing.. You may end up with the right guesses..
So I leave this post on a happy note screaming "Sun, Sand, Sea and Soul!!"
Un-surprisingly I chose Gokarna to hide away from the world.. (This post is not a travelogue about Gokarna.. Google it cos enough has been written about it here, there and everywhere)..
So what was the plan anyways.. None actually..
I had been to Gokarna a long long time ago.. Actually 5 years back to be exact!! Well nothings changed.. Its still as pure and pristine as it was when I last visited the place..
Anyways, I decided.. like all new age independent thinkers (not sure if I am qualified to call myself a 'thinker' but nevertheless.. My blog.. and who cares!!) that I needed to break-away.. But I wasn't even looking to run away actually.. Didn't know till the last moment that I would actually go.. But, it was well worth the effort..
This time I wanted to explore this idyllic little temple town a little bit more intimately!!
Other than the fact that I am visiting this place after 5 later, I also seemed to have matured with some spiritual and mental needs.. Really!!!
So this time I wasn't really a pleasure hunter.. I just wanted to connect to the rich legacy this place offers.. And wow.. does it!!
For those of who don't know much about Gokarna (and incase you don't want to Google it either), this is a small temple town.. which attracts millions of pilgrims.. year after year.. after all if you have in your childhood followed the tales from the Shiv-Mahapuran, this place has been vividly described.. Along with neighboring pilgrim centres!! Gokarna is also a hippie paradise.. with 5 of the most beautiful beaches you could have laid your eyes upon.. atleast among the ones I know of in India..
However, contrary to my belief, this place is not just visited by European hippies and Indian pilgrims.. You also see a lot of pseudo Indian pleasure hunters and firangi soul seekers.. All in all a good mix..
I was happy to listen to the Sanskrit that was spoken in the village streets.. This place is supposed to be one of the seats of Sanskrit learning in India.. Not that I know to speak Sanskrit, but it was a good revelation that people still speak what is considered and obsolete tongue.. You can also hear sporadic Kannada and Marathi being spoken.. Didn't have enough time this time, But I really wanted to meet and know more about the local customs and styles.. The place did remind me of Kerala.. Simple, green and beautiful.. Even the locals are comfortable with foreigners prying around in barely any clothes on their already naked bodies.. But what the hell..I'm no trying to be judgmental.. Just observing!!
I was staying in one of the shacks available at Kudle beach.. Pristine and cheap.. 100 bucks per head per night.. And you can keep gazing at the gorgeous ocean all the time.. Beautiful.. And keep eating your favorite fish food.. All yum!!
So I was either playing around in the waves.. Or meditating.. Or lying on the beach.. or Temple hopping.. or reading a book.. or listening to music.. or speaking to random strangers about life!!
Infact the guy staying the the shack next to mine was an Italian named Phillipe who had been living in India for over a year now.. And he was telling me about his spiritual journey and how he came to India to learn Yoga..
It was interesting when he noted during our conversation that I don't seem like an average Indian.. He said that I think and behave like any European soul searching for light.. Unlike Indians who either don't care too much or have achieved it already.. It was fun to hear somebody else's viewpoint about spiritual India and Indians..
I also met among other people a British woman named Rachel.. She was also on her journey through finding "Love and Light".. One of the observations she made was about how the firangs in Gokarna are largely 2 kinds.. The ones to come plainly to smoke pot and others like her that want to find answers that her world doesn't provide.. I do hope she finds what she is seeking!!
Well.. Like I said this trip was not just about spiritual seeking.. It was also about fun.. So yea.. I did do some things that I needed to tick off in my bucket list.. Some of you may already know it.. For the others.. Keep guessing.. You may end up with the right guesses..
So I leave this post on a happy note screaming "Sun, Sand, Sea and Soul!!"
2 comments:
ohhh are you sure that you want to keep me guessing at the end? hmmm, did you run around the beach naked at midnight?? that sounds like a good bucket list activity to me :)
@Saathi: I won't kiss and tell ;)
Post a Comment