Thursday, March 10, 2011

I

What does "I" mean or signify?


2 comments:

dEeBeE ! said...

When I say "I", it refers to "ME" and just "ME"
When you say "I", it refers to "YOU"..You as a complete package!

Buddhu!

Swaz said...

I cant resist getting a bit psychological on this! Though there are different theories as regards to viewing the 'self' the most immediate one that is coming to my mind is that of "Id". Whatever I will describe now is not an accurate explanation of Id but merely my take on your question...
Freud proposed that Id, Ego and Super-ego formed our personality apparatus. The Id works on the pleasure principle - seeks to avoid pain. The Id does not care about reality, practicality, only its own satisfaction. It is said that the mind of a child is completely Id-driven.. Where all the instincts are toward self appeasement and survival.
Anyway, the whole concept has to be read in conjunction with the other parts but for now... I feel "I" therefore comes from "Id". It is about my own satisfaction, my pleasure, my rewards...ME. "I" also implies the drive to distinct oneself, it outlines you, it describes you and only you. Anyway,this is just a very raw answer to the question... Lots of deeper meaning also goes into it.. And I have only spoken about Freud's take yet... But it is true to a great extent...