Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sea Of Poppies (Book.. but not a review)

hmm.. No review for this book as I have just started reading this book. And it doesn't look likely for me to finish any time soon. Hoping To finish by Jan atleast. Anyways I have just mentioned the background of the basis of the book

Sea of Poppies is a novel by Indian novelist Amitav Ghosh which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2008. It is the first volume of what will be the Ibis trilogy.

Synopsis
The main characters of the story are an ordinary village woman Deeti, an American sailor named Zachary, an Indian zemindhar Neel and a evangelist opium trader.
The story is set on the banks of the holy river Ganges and in Calcutta.

The Man Booker Award, is a literary prize awarded each year for the best original full-length novel, written in the English language. This year (circa 2008) had 2 Indian novelists among the five finalists for the award. The Winning novelist being the other Indian author Aravind Adiga, for his debut novel The White Tiger.

Im quite looking forward to reading The White Tiger once I am done with Sea Of Poppies.

2 comments:

The Purple Bicycle said...

My uncle read the book and said it was really good. I'm reading the Mahabharat right now and it's "unputdownable" :)

Ashwin Prabhakaran said...

Yea.. My uncle too had said this was a good one..
But he like Hungry Tide better